On Sunday, October 1st, people of faith all across North America will be participating in Life Chain, a public prayer witness to end abortion. Locally, this will be happening in Guelph, Fergus, and Rockwood. (Note that the Rockwood Life Chain will be taking place on September 24th.)
The Life Chain encourages Christians to participate in a time of prayer and witness, but all people are welcome to join, regardless of their faith background.
If you’ve never been to a Life Chain before, here are seven great reasons why you should join us for this powerful event!
1) To both receive ministry and to minister to the public, aided by the Holy Spirit. If we the church accept the ministry God has for His sons and daughters, He will empower us to minister truth to motorists and pedestrians and do so with humility, compassion, and conviction.
2) To provide God a witness to anoint and use to save lives and change hearts in each local area. Life Chain is only a first step into pro-life activism, but it’s an important step that tests our hearts and helps prepare us to defend the defenseless among us. Such is the story of the Good Samaritan and the story of Christ’s Bride, the humble sheep who meet urgent needs in Matthew 25. Let us the church love the Preborn and embrace mercy and justice.
3) To join a national prayer chain that seeks God’s forgiveness and intervention. “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray… [2 Chron. 7:14].” Consider the moral decay today in church, government, academia, and commerce. Consider the attack on traditional marriage. Consider the epidemics of pornography, sexual disease, and divorce. All are linked to abortion and innocent blood. With abortion legal throughout the entire pregnancy in our country, Canada has become one of the world’s most violent nations. Legal abortion and its grievous impact will cease when the church unites against it.
4) To better understand the impact abortion is having on our country and why the church must end the killing. The church can defeat legal abortion and its allies if we move beyond the “abortion issue” and value preborn humanity as we should. Our lukewarmness grieves God, who assures us He does not forget “the cry of the afflicted [Psalm 9:12].” Of Judah, God said before their captivity, “They do not plead the cause of the fatherless to win it [Jere. 5:28].”
5) To move the church from the sanctuary to the “city gates” and “marketplace.” For 48 years (since Canada’s abortion law was first expanded in 1969), we the church have yielded substantially rather than press for a breakthrough against legal abortion. Now, resolute pastoral exhortation and mobilization of laity are essential. Wrote Afro-American pastor Clenard Childress, Jr. in No Shepherds Cry: “The pew cannot do what the pulpit is supposed to do.” Of urgent need are shepherds who will lead, who will equip themselves for battle and inspire their sheep to do likewise. Then endangered lambs will have protection.
6) To honor our youngest citizens who perish needlessly, usually within blocks of multiple church altars. Let us acknowledge the nearly 4 million preborn children in Canada who have died from surgical abortions.
7) To help build a resolute army of Christians who are pro-life in both word and deed. Let us engage the enemy, boldly and strategically, until the curse of legal abortion is lifted and Canada again provides security and freedom for every citizen, born and preborn. That we can do. We have the means. Let us attain the will.
For all the details on Life Chains in our local area, please visit our website!
The material from ‘7 Reasons Why Christians Should Attend the Local Life Chain’ has been adapted from the National Life Chain Coordinators.